For those who have not read my previous blog - please enjoy "To The Red Centre and Back"

Monday, December 24, 2012

Part 5: The Recovery (Day 6 to 14)

It was a fairly fast recovery indeed. From making the first step on the third day after the surgery, I managed to make 3 steps forward and 3 steps back on the fourth day, then daily increase to 10 steps, 30 steps and also upgraded myself from walking frame to elbow crutches. The crutches are my best friends now. I would not go anywhere without them, literally! They took the IV line off and most of my systems are working normally by now except for the legs. Being able to sit up straight to have my meal is already a huge blessing.

But then again, being in the High Dependency Care unit, especially one for neuro patients, while you're already fully alert and almost able to be independent is not very comfortable. I know; I was once one of them too but now that I'm not, I just need a calmer, quieter and less depressing place in order to expedite my recovery.

After a bit of hassle with the insurance company, NHS rep and the private wing admission staffs, I finally get to move to the private floor on Day 8 to the comfort of a single room, nice food and service and most importantly, Zarina can come in and visit almost anytime. She could not spend the night there but at least she could come in earlier in the morning as opposed to only after 2:00 pm in the other ward. Nevertheless, it's winter in London and sometimes she had to brace herself through as low as -2°C in the morning, in the wet and windy UK weather and then walk back again alone in the darkness of winter night. That does make me feel a bit guilty but I guess we did make a promise at one time to each other that we will be there for one another no matter what. I would have done exactly the same, if not more, for her.

In the comfort (actually maybe a bit more on the 'luxury' side) of the private room I finally managed to get a proper shower and shave and now felt a lot better. Now the fast-track recovery process can begin!

By the way, Zarina and I had this weird ritual. Everyday I would order food from the hospital menu for my meal of the day - which are quite nice actually. Then I made her eat them. In return, what I asked from her is to go out and buy me doner kebab. I still feel that the best doner kebab has to be those in London! She found this kebab shop not very far from the hospital and on the way from her hotel. So, everyday I was having kebab, and sometimes shwarma, grilled chicken, etc. It's like I was never in an English country...! After all, I'm not quite a fish and chips kinda guy...

The recovery process continues and before I knew it, I was already walking around the ward greeting nurses and hospital staffs. By now, many more knew the story of me, 'the unexpected guest'. A few days in the private ward later I finally got to the "advanced" level of training i.e. climbing stairs etc. I felt that I'm ready to go home now so one day I asked the Consultant to estimate when I can go home. This has to be under the condition that I am fit to endure the 13 hours flight home. He said within a week or so but I told him let's decide on a date. I work better with a target (probably something I picked up after 18 years of managing projects!) so he originally target for Sunday, 9th December. Then I made him detailed out a plan on what I need to do day-by-day in terms of my physio training and also medication in order to achieve the 9th December target. He said, "You're a KPI man, aren't you?"

One really flattering part was that; apart from Shahfree, Hakimi, Naz and Auntie Amah; there were hordes of visitors from all over! I lost count after Day 6 so I will not mention names here in case I missed anyone and later would feel bad about it. Some of them whom we remembered to take pictures with are further below. They were basically relatives, colleagues and friends in London and other colleagues and friends who happened to be in London or some who were travelling via London (some actually diverted their route just to have a transit in London). There were also those from Europe who even flew in just to visit!

Some might already know that in western cultures, they don't really visit people in hospitals except of course for close families and relatives or in the case of those who'd been in the hospital for a long period. So other than a few Asians or Middle Eastern patients' visitors, there were not many other visitors except maybe mine. The truth is, there has not been a single day that I had not had a visitor! One of the nurses said, "Your visitors come from all over the world! You must be a very important person". I said, "No, I'm not. I just happen to have many many good friends..."

I was really really touched by all the visits. The thought that kept lingering in my mind every time was how these people genuinely cared about Zarina and me. I am so lucky to have all these great people in my life... I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you. Thanks also for all the nice and thoughtful gifts. You wouldn't believe what kind of food people brought us; nasi lemak, nasi with like more than 7 lauk-pauk and all sorts of thing! You guys really made our day and our stay there a joyful one despite the circumstances we were in.


... and of course this one is worth a special mention... Look what my staffs posted on my Facebook page...


With all these support, I'm sure I'll be home in no time!

>>> Next episode: The Journey Home


No comments:

Post a Comment